Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Model #1: Minicraft Catalina PBY-5A 1:144

[Note: This is one of the models I built prior to deciding I wanted to create a scale modeling blog. As such, the pictures and information are limited. I'm including this model (and post) for the purposes of maintaining a chronological order of my modeling hobby. Subsequent posts will have more detailed information. Enjoy!]


Minicraft Catalina PBY-5A 1:144

This Catalina PBY represents my first entrance into the scale modeling hobby. It's a storied plane with an amazing history, and it's certainly worth a build. However, it's clear to me now that starting off the hobby by attempting a 1:144 scale (of anything) was much too ambitious, and as the results indicate, far beyond my skill level. The scale is simply too small for a beginner to work with.
 
Regardless, I learned quite a bit. The most important lesson on this model was to avoid getting discouraged. Sometimes things don't fit. Sometimes instructions are written poorly. Scale models are no different than life. Don't stop because it's not perfect. Don't ignore it because it doesn't make sense. Don't give up if the end product looks like crap. This model was a disaster, but I didn't let that bother me (too much). I figured my next model would look better (and it did). 

Another valuable lesson learned was to feel comfortable ignoring the instructions. I thought it was lame to have a .50 caliber machine gun hidden behind glass. I went ahead and used an exacto blade to poke a hole through the window to give it some life:



Remember: This is your model. It's going in your home. You have to look at it. The folks that write up the directions are not your overlords. Feel free to ignore them.

Otherwise, this model was tough for a beginner. As you can see, it was difficult to get the eyeball turret to properly align (the rest of the model had similar results): 


 
Finally, this model is tail heavy. If I did it again I'd put some weight in the nose. I found out too late that the nose gear opening was too small to add a bb or two:


Here's the final product. I declined to add decals, though it came with plenty. I used Model Master Flat Sea Blue but applied it (incorrectly and heavily) with a brush. I think it's a beautiful color and I wouldn't hold my shoddy work against it.


Another angle showing the heavy rear end:


In the end, this was a difficult build for a beginner. It truly tried my patience and could have easily turned me off of the modeling hobby. But I won't hold that against Minicraft or the 1:144 scale as a whole. I suspect my grief was a result of my own lack of skill, tools, and experience. I've advanced somewhat in the hobby since I built this plane and I'm looking forward to building it in a 1:48.

The 1:144 has it's place in aviation models, but "first timers" is not it.

Happy Building!

Jeff


While The Glue is Drying:
 

If you want an example of how awesome this same model can be, check out this guys post over at Modeling Madness. He has some great links to the history of the PBY as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment